Getting your very first entry level job in the oil industry's offshore installations in the capacity of a roustabout should be a blessing. If you already did the same or the related job on land, your prospects of getting same on the offshore drilling platform are very good. Working as roustabout is exactly how many guys put their foot in the door of oil rigging industry, and that's the way you might wish to follow either. Even at the entry level oil rig jobs the benefits you get immediately once enlisted are very attractive, while opportunities to get promoted and be advanced rapidly are even better.
Top Oil Platform Jobs and Career Opportunities
Featured advertisement: A leading Oil & Gas company has been looking for an Instrument Engineer to ensure the support of operations to offshore platforms, announces the Norfolk based G2 Recruitment Solutions company with years of headhunting for oil drilling companies. Position of an Instrument Engineer for oil rigs involves continuous review of maintenance of the offshore instrumentation. Other vacancies: Metering Technician, Project Engineering Manager to work at the locations around Aberdeen, Teesside, and Holland.
The salaries of roustabouts and roustabout related positions on oil rigs
Roustabout positions constitute core of the deck crew, it's people that are for the most part get in direct touch with the oil drilling equipment handling that can be only partially mechanized
- Maintenance Roustabout is responsible for cleaning, painting and general deck maintenance, gets paid around $US 47,000 - 50,000 per year
- Roustabout, the responsibilities includes moving the materials and the equipment from one place to other on the deck and through entire oil drilling platform, cleaning and keeping tidy the main and the pipe decks, guiding the cranes while they lift, lower, and move mechanisms, equipment, materials, supplies etc. around the oil rig, sometimes manually. The General Roustabout salary per year is $US 54,000.
- The maintenance roustabout operations on the deck are supervised and overseen by the position called Maintenance Foreman, whose normal annual salary is somewhere around $ US 60,000. In fact, it's for working only half that time, 6 months offshore, by shifts. This is a position that someone with ambitions working as Roustabout have valid opportunity to be prmoted to. The difference in salaries is impressive, isn't it?
- Crane Operator is directly responsible and is in the immediate charge of safely operating crane. Also this position's responsibility includes the supervision of the Crane Operator Assistants and Roustabouts. Normally the Assistant Crane Operator is a worker that has been advanced from entry level Roustabout that has completed on site training course and proved being qualified even to operate the crane. The salaries: $69,000 - Crane Operator; $60,000 - Assistant Crane Operator.
- If you feel you don't have sufficient leadership qualities or quick learner abilities while working as roustabout, but would rather prefer working manually, there's still room for advancement, and the position of better paid Roughneck is what you'll get with the time passing only, provided this is what you'd wish.
The Drilling Crew Salary Review
The salaries for roustabouts, roughnecks and the offshore drill crew members that we review in this report are available on the oil rigs of the UK, and may vary for other locations.
- The Driller oil job. The Driller can with no exagerration be called the central figure on the offshore platform, because his main responsibility has to do directly with the drilling process, and hence is the big salary of the impressive $US 86,000 yearly. Typically there are 2 or 3 crews on oil rigs that are continuously engaged in performing different types of jobs and work under the general supervision of the Driller, who himself is in turn being supervised by toolpusher or the rig manager himself. The Driller is responsible for safety of the drilling process and for completing the oil well drilling process within the standards and procedure norms. Same as rig manager, the drillers are required to have passed and continuously confirm the validity of different certifications.
- The Driller is assisted in his job by an Assistant Driller, whose salary per year can be up to $US 75,000. Assistant driller supervises the work of the Roughneck and of the Derrickman, as well as assisting the Driller during actually drilling well in search for oil deposits.
- The Electicians. On each oil rig you will find many electricians who are responsible for keeping all the electrical devices well maintained and running properly. Their salaries range from $US 65,000 to $85,000.
- Mechanics. The job of mechanic on oil rig is paid somewhere between $US 55,000 to $85,000 or so, depending on the level of training, they are responsible for proper functionning of all the mechanical equipment on the rig.
- Barge Engineer, Control Room Operator (CRO), the Assistant CRO - $US 60,000 to $US 90,000
- Catering positions: stewarts & stewardesses, cooks, bakers, dish washers, different sorts of cleaners. These are too oil jobs. Including many of them being entry level oil rig jobs requiring no experience, they are being paid $US 45,000 to $60,000.